City of Des Moines
– Parks & Recreation Department
Annually, the Association honors an individual, a local government or an intergovernmental project that best demonstrates the aggressive pursuit of efficiency over the past year.
The purpose of the award is to recognition cost-saving, innovation, collaboration, and creativity within public-sector organizations.
Why Des Moines Parks and Recreation was recognized:
- DMPR maintained services while facing a $4,000,000 reduction in operating funds and experiencing a 400% increase in park utilization during the pandemic.
- Competitively bid new management contract at the three municipal golf courses: annual savings of $600,000 and capital improvements of $1,000,000 provided by contractor.
- Outsourced parkland mowing over a decade ago: Average savings realized: over $1,000,000 annually.
- Over 10,000 volunteers donated more than 81,000 hours of service (valued at more than $2,000,000) in the past three years
- Ben Page, Director, DMPR
- Scott Sanders, City Manager
- Jenny Richmond, Asst. Director, DMPR
- Frank Cownie, Mayor