Funding of PK-12 Education in Iowa
the annual review & update
Wednesday 3/9, at 4:30 PM
… Stephen Gruber-Miller, Des Moines Register (2/14/22)
Before jumping to the sufficiency debate, get the current funding facts first. Thanks to IASB officials, this Town Hall covers 7.5 hours of details in 50 minutes.
- Iowa currently has 327 school districts
- Dillion’s Rule:
- Schools can only do what is expressly authorized in law or rule.
- 2016: some opportunity to innovate if law doesn’t prohibit it.
- Revenues and expenditures
- COVID stimulus Federal Funding
- Enrollment: 485,630 students, down 20,000 from1998 high .
- Iowa’ school Finance formula
- School Property taxes – types and levies
- Student First Scholarship proposal & status of charter school expansion
Shawn Snyder, Associate Executive Director, Government Relations & School Finance, Iowa Association of School Boards
Phil Jeneary, Government Relations Director, Iowa Association of School Boards