Flipping it over...
What were the changes in property taxes collected by taxing authorities for which you were billed?
TACI Town Hall #5: Flipping it Over
Items to consider & discuss:
Bring the property tax bill you just received; we will flip it over and look at the details:
- What were the changes in property tax collections from the past year?
- How did “they” arrive at the number?
- The budget process
- Constraints in the Iowa Code & Certification of Budgets
- Where is the public involvement?
- Where do the candidates stand on property taxes?
- Did the “Tax Transparency” legislation provide transparency?
- What was the impact of the local option sales tax?
- Did they offset property taxes?
- Current collections?
- Tax-exempt property –
- Budget impact & does a “Payment In Lieu Of Taxes” (“PILOT”) make sense?
- Do property taxes make sense?
- Asset vs. Current Income
- Relatively Stable
- Other sources of funds available to cities
- Can resources and expenses be shared?
Teresa Rotschafer, Finance/Human Resource Director, City of Johnston